Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tell It Like It Is, Rachel!

I am a big follower of politics, and I often find myself watching The Rachel Maddow Show to hear about the news of the day. Last night the main focus of the program was the election of Scott Brown to the Senate. I found it fascinating how many Democrats were acting like the sky was falling because of losing one vote in the Senate. I understand that this makes their filibuster-proof majority go away, but there are still many ways to push their agenda.

I think that Rachel Maddow puts this situation into perspective by showing how the Democrats are mourning the loss of their "Unicorn." The fact remains that the Democrats still hold 59 votes, which is still a huge majority. Rachel makes a great point about the Democrats needing to either quit and let the minority run things, or fight to pass their agenda. I think that the main point is that if the Democrats want to lose even more seats in November they should keep acting the way they have been. If they want to restore the confidence of their constituents they need to move forward and stop focusing on the loss of one seat.

This clip from The Rachel Maddow Show talks about the "Magical Unicorn," and how the Democrats need to move forward. I think Rachel puts an interesting and humorous spin on politics, which makes it easier for simple minded people like me to understand.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the Unicorn bit was a great bit of commentary that neatly avoided the DTPs. Maddow is also interesting because while she is avowedly liberal, she is quite critical of establishment Democrats. I like her for many of the same reasons I like George Will on the right.

    ReplyDelete