Saturday, January 30, 2010

New York's Trash Can

Aren't they classy?

I tend to flip through channels when avoiding doing my homework, and I often find myself stopping on MTV to watch the disgusting train wreck that is "Jersey Shore." While I have never seen an entire episode, I have seen enough to know that MTV did a good job of finding some of the most outrageous and flat out stupid people that have ever lived on the east coast. I was surprised to find out that only one of the main characters is actually from New Jersey. Some have expressed that this makes the show inaccurate, but I feel otherwise. I think the main basis for the show is that people that spend their time on the Jersey Shore are trashy, not that all people living in New Jersey are. I think that the overall negative impression of New Jersey also plays into the appeal of the show.

I am sure that we have all heard at one time or another that New Jersey is known as New York's trash can. I always love this expression, and I use it frequently to refer to places I am familiar with. I always find it funny when going to Omaha that as soon as you cross the bridge into Council Bluffs everything goes downhill. This is strictly an opinion, and I apologize if you live in Council Bluffs . . . really. One of my friends that grew up in Millard also refers to Council Bluffs as Counciltucky, which always makes me laugh. This just goes to show you that comparisons like New York to New Jersey happen everywhere. Now back to laughing at trashy guidos and praying that there is never a show depicting my home as a steaming pile of crap.

1 comment:

  1. My guy friend dressed up as a Guido to go out one night. Hes from Omaha. He wants to be a guido. It made me laugh

    ReplyDelete