Saturday, March 6, 2010

Best Picture or Best Title?

While reading this article from CNN.com, I became interested in the way that Oscar winners are chosen. It is mentioned that the winners are often very predictable. The winner of Best Picture is harder to predict, but the article mentions that the movie with the most appealing title is often the winner. If this is true, than a movie could be awful, but it could win over an extremely popular movie if it had a good enough title. I think someone should test out this theory by making a complete bomb of a film and giving it an excellent title.

I am not a fan of the Oscars, and I usually don't watch them, but I may watch a few minutes this year to see the winner of Best Picture.

The Nominees:
"Avatar"
"The Blind Side"
"District 9"
"An Education"
"The Hurt Locker"
"Inglourious Basterds"
"Precious"
"A Serious Man"
"Up"
"Up in the Air"

I have only seen two of the nominees, but I think that makes me qualified to choose the winner if it is based upon the title. I find it hard to believe that the title really makes a difference, but if that was true, I would think that a film like "Inglorious Basterds" would win. I highly doubt this film will win, and I think "Precious" will take the award. I guess I will find out tomorrow . . . unless I find something better to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment