Monday, March 29, 2010

Bad Seasons = More Tickets


First off, I think it is only fair that I admit how disappointing the beginning of the season has been for the Nebraska Baseball team. They haven't been able to dominate in games when they are ahead in the beginning, and they often score runs but are unable to get back into the game before the other team pulls further ahead. Despite my own feelings about the team, I think that it is sad to watch how public support slowly disappears when teams are not winning games.

When I first started going to Nebraska games with my dad in 2005 the team was on the way up. They had been in the College World Series before, but 2005 was the break-out year for the Huskers. We were able to get single game tickets for reserved seating in 2005, but we were unable to get tickets for anything other than grass berm seating for the next three years. This was because the team was still able to win games and attract the attention to people with enough money to throw away on season tickets. I personally think that there should always be tickets held back for single-game use, but the athletic department would rather collect donation money. I suppose I can't really blame them for that, but it is aggravating when you are forced to sit on wet grass all the time.

To get back to my point, the past few years have been rough for the Huskers. They haven't been good enough to get to the CWS, and last year they didn't even qualify for regional play. This has led to an abundance of single tickets being available. While I appreciate being able to get good seats, it makes me sad that people have been so quick to drop their season tickets. If I had enough money to waste on season tickets anyway, I would keep them through the good and bad seasons. I worry that the same thing that has happened to the baseball team will happen when women's basketball and volleyball are no longer as good as they are currently. As much as I hate to admit it, Nebraska is a one sport state. Football will always be the one sport that fans will stick with through good and bad. This makes it harder for the other sports to compete. People like to say that winning isn't everything, but if you live in Nebraska it is. If you lose and you aren't the football team, you are in danger of getting cut off from the public's donations and their attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment