Friday, February 12, 2010

Why I gave a crap about this year's Super Bowl

We should get one thing straight right off the bat: I hate pro football.

Now that we have that cleared up, I can tell you why I cared slightly about this year's Super Bowl. For the first time that I can remember, I actually cared about who won the game, because of two reasons:

1. I think Peyton Manning is a turd.
2. New Orleans needs something to be happy about for a change.


Peyton Manning has always been near the top of my list of athletes I can't stand. I think he is incredibly full of himself, and I wanted nothing more than for him to get knocked on his rear-end. The Saints were underdogs that many thought had no chance of winning against Manning and the Colts, and I was cheering for them to prove people wrong. After everything that the people of New Orleans have been through, they deserve to have something to celebrate.

I am ecstatic for the people of New Orleans. It is their time to shine. With the momentum of the Super Bowl win behind them and Mardi Gras coming up, they are ready to show the rest of the country that they are back on their feet. There are few times when a simple football game can hold so much more meaning for the winning team than a trophy and a paycheck. If the Colts had won, we would have all had to endure countless "I am amazing" interviews with Peyton Manning. We should all be thankful that everything turned out the way it did.

Congratulations, New Orleans!!

1 comment: