Friday, April 23, 2010

Comedy Central has been castrated


Yesterday I wrote about how the creators of South Park had received death threats from a Muslim extremist group, and had altered this weeks episode to bleep out all mentions of Muhammad. This morning I read that the episode was not censored by the creators of South Park, but by Comedy Central itself.

Matt and Trey, the creators of South Park, made a statement that they were unhappy with how Comedy Central handled the situation. I have to agree with their point of view. It seems ridiculous to me that the network would censor the show against the wishes of the people who created it. Trey and Matt were the people who were directly threatened by the Muslim extremists, not Comedy Central. I would understand if the people threatened would want to give in to the wishes of the group, but I really don't think it was Comedy Central's place to censor the episode for them.

I have always liked the fact that Comedy Central was unafraid to ruffle the feathers of it's viewers, but this all changed today. I am extremely disappointed in the network. There are many times when I am offended by the nature of their programming, but that doesn't keep me from watching. I understand the concept of the network, and I don't go off the deep end when they make fun of things that hit close to home for me. I guess the terrorists really have won. I used to think that Comedy Central had balls, but I guess the terrorists chopped them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment