Thursday, April 22, 2010

What the bleep?

It is no secret that many people feel offended by the characters and events portrayed on South Park, but most people know not to take the show seriously. This is obviously not true of Muslim extremist groups. I was watching CNN yesterday afternoon when they were talking about death threats that had been made to the creators of South Park due to their depiction of the prophet Muhammad on last weeks 200th episode.

When I saw this, I wasn't surprised, but I was very surprised when I watched South Park last night. The creators of the show have never worried about what people think about their depiction of different cultures, but this time it seems to have caused them to think twice. When I watched last night, all mentions of Muhammad in the episode were bleeped out. There was also a large portion of the end of the show that was bleeped due to what can only be assumed as anti-Muslim remarks. Although it must have been somewhat frightening to receive death threats from a group of Muslim extremists, I am surprised that it caused the creators of the show to censor themselves.

This led me to wonder whether the censorship was intentional on the part of South Park. When watching the episode, the bleeping actually makes the viewer more aware of the comments, which is what I think the creators were going for. They are fighting back by technically giving in to the demands of the people threatening them while making sure that the public is well aware of the comments the characters in the show are making. If the bleeps were intentional on the part of South Park, and not a result of the death threats, I think they should be applauded for their creativity. If not, I am a little disappointed that they gave in to people who are dumb enough to let themselves get angry about a cartoon completely based on nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment