Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pothole Problem


Winter in Nebraska is a time of constant weather change. It can be almost 50 degrees one day, and a blizzard with below zero temperatures the next. This takes a toll on our roads, and leaves us with huge craters in the streets by the time spring arrives. The roads department is usually fairly quick about getting out and filling these potholes, but I am sure there are many reasons that they may not get to them immediately. They have coffee break, for instance, or they need to take a vacation day . . . I understand.

When driving around Kearney I noticed several potholes on major roads, but there was nothing that I couldn't easily dodge around. This was not the case when I went to see my parents in Grand Island. There are so many potholes on the roads in GI that it was almost impossible not to hit at least one on each street. The streets in GI have always been crap, but I think this year is one for the record books. While driving through the sycamore street underpass, I tried to avoid a pothole that looked at least a foot deep and two feet wide, but there was no way I could without hitting the side of the underpass or sideswiping another car. This caused me to slam into the pothole, and possibly do damage to my car. I know the street department is busy, but for crying out loud, if there is a hole in a place that makes it unavoidable to hit, please fix it.

The City of Grand Island has never ceased to amaze me with their ingenious way of investing absolutely no money or effort into the roads. I remember a few years ago when instead of filling in potholes on one of the main roads near my parents house, they simply laid a giant piece of plywood on top of them. While this may have made the road a little smother, I think we should just embrace the crappy roads and take an example from the cartoon posted above. Fishing, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment